After closing during coronavirus lockdowns, the Birmingham Botanical Gardens will reopen to the public June 15.
The facility’s hours will be from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. every day with access limited to the front entrance gates, as opposed to its typical hours of sunrise to sunset.
according to a release, the Birmingham Park and Recreation board will reassess the adjusted hours on July 1.
When guests visit the gardens, there will be new guidelines in place in order to limit the spread of COVID-19, including rules instituted by the Birmingham Park & Recreation board – heightened daily cleaning of restrooms and counting the number of visitors entering the facility.
In addition, visitors are encouraged to practice social distancing, and face masks are required when interacting with others in the garden and when visiting the Garden Center.
Additional guidelines include the following:
- The Garden Center is currently limited to 50% occupancy and open Monday through Friday through June 30. Garden Center hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- The Library at the Gardens is now open for curbside service, available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information and to set up a pickup time, please visit bbgardens.org/library.php.
- Leaf & Petal at the Gardens will reopen on June 15. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- The Gardens Café by Kathy G will reopen on June 16, resuming normal hours Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. On June 16 and June 17, the cafe will serve to-go orders only. In-cafe dining will resume on June 18, with social distancing between tables, servers wearing masks and gloves, disposable paper menus, two hand sanitizer stations and heightened cleaning in place. Face masks are required when entering or exiting the cafe but not while dining. For reservations or more information, call 205-871-1000 or email email@example.com.
- Alabama Cooperative Extension System offices are currently open by appointment only. Soil sample test kits will be available in the front lobby of the Garden Center or at the Library at the Gardens. Samples may also be dropped off in the front lobby.